Yesterday, a new update for SteamOS in the Preview branch was released that fixes up the performance overlay, making sure it is displaying more accurate readings and bringing in some smaller bug fixes. The performance overlay is now going to display the GPU clock speed on average instead of instantaneous movement, as well as showing frame timings based on when flipped to display when frame limiter or vsync is enabled on the Steam Deck. There were also incorrect colors when using Steam In-Home streaming, which has now been corrected, and miscellaneous compositor improvements.
- Fixed an issue where modifying settings in the desktop partition manager could prevent the SD card from being mounted and visible in Steam
- Fixed an issue in desktop mode where dropping a folder on the desktop would erroneously create a shortcut for every item within the folder.
Graphics and Performance
- Fixed the performance overlay displaying GPU clock speed as an instantaneous measurement rather than an average, resulting in misleading numbers.
- This matches behavior of SteamOS 3.4.11
- Fixed a problem with elevated noise levels for trackpad pressure sensors. Affects only certain configurations.
- Fixed incorrect colors (gamma) when using Steam In-Home Streaming.
- Fixed a rare system crash on game exit
- Fixed an issue in certain HDR titles wherein wiggling the cursor on the same frame as closing the game would cause incorrect colors in subsequent game launches
- Improved a situation where a game's frame presentation could block because of buffers submitted by Steam or other windows, removing a potential source of game stutters.
- When the frame limiter or vsync is enabled, the performance overlay now shows frame timings based on when they are flipped to the display, rather than when the GPU rendering was completed. The GPU-based timings are still visible on level four setting.
- Fixed an issue causing stutter in certain games that buffer multiple frames in advance.
- Miscellaneous compositor performance improvements.
If you enjoyed this article, check out the rest of the content on SteamDeckHQ! We have a wide variety of game reviews and news that are sure to help your gaming experience. Whether you're looking for news, tips and tutorials, game settings and reviews, or just want to stay up-to-date on the latest trends, we've got your back.