A new update to Proton GE was released today, and while it doesn't change a lot, it does make a couple of nice changes for the future. First, the components dxvk, vkd3d-proton, and wine were updated to the latest versions. We also had reverts added for vrclient so VRChat is now working again until a fix from Valve has been implemented.
The gstreamer plugin that the compatibility layer has had its build options re-worked. Instad of enabling everything, there have been a selective options that were enabled and disabled. This will help figure out exactly what's missing from Valve's proton layer instead of taking shots in the dark. It also will help Valve get a beter idea of codecs and filters that they may need or will need to be enabled.
For those who don't know about Proton GE, how to get it on the Steam Deck, or how to update, check out our Proton GE guide! We go over all of this and explain why having GE is important.
Proton GE 8-23 Update Changelog:
- added reverts for vrclient to allow VRChat to work again (pending proper fix from valve: ValveSoftware#1199 (comment))
- the gstreamer plugin build options have been re-worked. Rather than enabling everything under the sun, we've now manually enabled each option that was reported as enabled in previous builds, and disabled the rest. This was done to more align with what Valve is doing and to allow a clearer picture of what may be missing from Valve's proton rather than taking wild guesses. Doing this may allow Valve a better idea of additional codecs/filters that might be missing in case they need and/or can be enabled. (thanks loathingKernel for taking the time to do this)
- dxvk updated to latest git
- vkd3d-proton updated to latest git
- wine updated to latest bleeding edge
If you enjoyed this article, check out the rest of the content on SteamDeckHQ! We have a wide variety of game reviews and news that are sure to help your gaming experience. Whether you're looking for news, tips and tutorials, game settings and reviews, or just want to stay up-to-date on the latest trends, we've got your back.