Proton, the compatibility layer to play Windows games on Linux, has gotten a few updates in the past couple days, including a brand new one to Experimental that came out earlier today. While the GE fork of Proton took about a month break, then released 5 new versions in the span of 3 days, which is always exciting to see.
Valve updated their experimental branch of Proton earlier today, incorporating fixes from Proton 7.0-3 while adding in a few of their own. This includes fixes for video playback in some games, launcher fixes for Final Fantasy XIV and Elite Dangerous, and making more games playable entirely:
- All changes from Proton 7.0-3.
- Now playable: Karmaflow The Rock Opera Videogame - Act I & Act II, One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4, Atelier Meruru,The Rising of the Shield Hero: Relive The Animation, Paladins.
- Fix Tekken 7 crashing at launch.
- Improve video playback for many games that previously required targeted hacks.
- Fix video playback in: POSTAL: Brain Damaged, Turbo Overkill, Slayers X Demo.
- Fix The Ball displaying error message on the first launch.
- Use copy on write for prefixes on supported files systems.
- Fix SCP: Secret Laboratory crashing on launch after a game update.
- Fix Bloons TD 6 crashing on touch input.
- Fix Final Fantasy XIV launcher exiting silently when there's not enough space to download the update.
- Fix Elite Dangerous and other launchers not working properly when cloned displays are present.
- Fix Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Zombies and Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Multiplayer crashing after connecting online.
- Fix Azur Lane: Crosswave hanging on a black screen for some users.
- Fix Chrono Trigger randomly crashing during cutscenes.
- Improve video playback in Persona 4 Golden.
- Implement Vulkan other process rendering (used by nw.js games).
- Implement network video support for The Good Life and VRChat.
- Update file distribution method to save disk space.
- Update dxvk to include the latest development work.
- Update vkd3d-proton to include the latest development work.
You can view the changelog directly from them on their Github page.
In the past 5 days, Proton GE went from 7-20 to 7-25 and had fixes all along the way. These ranged from hotfixes for games, to FSR updates for 32:9 resolution, as well as pulling some fixes from the official Proton version. GloriousEggroll, developer of Proton GE, included a bunch of game fixes in Proton 7-21 as well for games like Fall Guys, Sonic Adventure 2, Total War Rome II, and Bionic Commander Rearmed. You can view the full releases and what they brought on the Github page.